> blogs > official blog

News, commentary & perspective from Visa Bureau

UK immigration change: Partners must pass English test before being granted a UK Visa

by Marissa 6/11/2010 3:03:00 PM

Migrants must now pass an English
test before they can join
their partners in the UK.

The UK Government has announced that compulsory English language tests will be introduced from autumn 2010 for non-EU migrants applying for a UK Visa to come to the UK to join or marry their settled partner.

The changes mean partners will need to demonstrate they have a basic command of English before leaving their homeland, around the level of a five- to seven-year-old, which will allow them to cope with everyday life in the UK. The new test will assess a person's ability to introduce themselves, ask simple directions, and understand what is said by someone speaking slowly.

While a seemingly uncontroversial UK immigration requirement for new migrants, it also seems an unnecessary law given that the UK already requires migrants to speak English. Partners who have completed the initial two-year period of temporary residence still need to pass the “Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK” test before obtaining permanent residence.

Additionally, the new law doesn’t apply to EU citizens – otherwise the most likely group of people affected. The Home Office has acknowledged the people most likely to be adversely affected are those coming from India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh where English is not spoken in rural areas, or by poor or uneducated people.

I am sure there will be certain applicants who will struggle to pass the tests, which could mean long delays before they can join their partners here – if ever in some cases. Even for those who do pass, having to sit the test will mean an extra step and fee to pay, as well as the time and trouble involved.

The Home Office estimates the new law will lead to a drop of around 10 per cent in UK Visa applications, and unfortunately, this may be at the expense of genuine relationships.

What do the changes mean?


From autumn 2010, non-EU migrants wishing to join their partners in the UK as a partner will need to demonstrate basic English at A1 level, the same level required for skilled workers admitted under Tier 2 of the points-based system.

A partner will need to provide evidence with their UK Family Visa application that they have passed an English language test with one of UK Border Agency’s approved test providers.

The new rules will apply to anyone applying as the husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried partner, same-sex partner, fiance(e) or prospective civil partner of a UK citizen or a person settled in this country. The tests will be compulsory for people applying from within the UK as well as UK visa applicants from overseas.

Migrants applying for partner visas must also meet other requirements, including  being able to show a relationship is genuine,  and the ability to support themselves financially.

Partners who wish to apply to settle permanently in the UK after completing the initial two-year temporary residence will still need to pass  the “Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK” test .

- Marissa Murdock is Casework Department Manager for the UK Visa Bureau

Visa Bureau takes no responsibility and cannot be held accountable for action taken as a result of any information or comment provided on this blog, and we recommend that you always seek a number of opinions before making a decision regarding your migration or visa application. Please refer to the Visa Bureau terms of use for more information.

Related posts


7/17/2010 8:05:52 AM

I think you would like to know about an online store of legal/ genuine software.
Whether you can find it by googling, or by visit it directly
<a href="">cheap genuine software</a>

7/18/2010 10:48:25 AM

Ref: English tests.

I am in a very stable 10 year marriage to a Cambodian lady where I have lived and worked for 12 years.

My wife lived in UK for 2 years in the early 1990’s and has visited UK many times with me. Added to this she has worked for a British Charity as an admin assistant for 9 years. Her English is very good, with passable writing and reading, incidentally she also speaks Cantonese, Mandarin, Vietnamese and Khmer (Cambodian). So why should she have to take an English test?

To make matters worse all visa related issues take place in Thailand. If she had to take a test it would involve a Thai Visa, air fares and accommodation as well as costs for the tests, totally unfair.

Harold Pearson.
Phnom Penh.

harold pearson

7/28/2010 5:06:33 PM

go figure :-|:)}

Hong Aguillon

8/13/2010 6:59:57 AM

This is a great web site. Good polished UI and nice informative articles. I will be coming back in a bit, thanks for the great article.

eve isk

8/16/2010 7:56:58 PM

I disagree with most people here; since I found this blog post I couldn't stop until I finished, although it wasn't just what I had been searching for, was indeed a fantastic read though. I will immediately take your RSS feed to stay informed of any updates.

internet income

9/29/2010 4:08:24 AM

I love the images you put in here. They fit so well with what youre trying to say. Im sure youll reach so many people with what youve got to say.


11/5/2010 8:43:53 PM

Interesting ... as always - is your blog about uk visa making any cash advance ? ;)


11/8/2010 12:15:33 PM

Merci pour la précision de cet article. J'espère qu'une prochaine version suivra bientôt!

lunettes lecture

11/15/2010 7:24:09 PM

This was a very interesting read. I will bookmark you web page to check out on it later on.

free chicago lawyers

12/12/2010 5:50:19 AM

this blog is so very interesting., i love reading it., thanks for the information here....

khan vs maidana full replay

12/12/2010 9:16:29 AM

I have had a lifelong career working overseas in ten different developing countries. I have lived and worked in Cambodia since 1996 and married a Chinese/Cambodian lady in 1998. My wife has visited UK many times and speaks/reads English very well; she also is fluent in Khmer, Mandarin, Cantonese and Vietnamese. She has a permanent well paid job in Cambodia

I find the law that demands we would have to live in UK for an extended period in order to obtain UK citizenship for my wife Draconian. It would mean us both giving up our careers with very little chance of employment in UK.

harold pearson

12/21/2010 11:47:33 AM

College Of English Language Provides English Language training for Marriage, Spouse, Partner Visa. We also conduct UKBA Approved English Language test in india and nepal. Any one interested to know about Marriage, Spouse, Partner visa for uk can write us at


12/24/2010 2:05:32 PM

Good Morning I have been Reading your page and i really liked it I am interested in reading more. Also I wonder how to suscribe to your rss feed. Thanks.


12/29/2010 7:09:01 AM

Applying for Marriage/ Spouse Visa for UK & Need an English Test Certificate?????????

College of English Language Provides training for passing this english language test.

We also conduct UKBA Approved english test at our centres in India and Nepal.

Please contact us at or visit

Phone Nos:

Noida 0120-2520154/ 2520155

Jalandhar: 0181-4600041/460042

Mobile: +91- 842700041/ 9811030380/9971839878

college of english language